FBI is shutting down dns changer malware servers on 9th July. You may permanently loose your internet access. Please read the full report in order to save your self from Internet Shutdown 2012.
No Facebook Friends, No YouTube videos, No Twitting & Boring nights…
Yeah ! you read it right. You probably will loose your access to internet on 9th July 2012 (forever). This is no way a scam. It was announced by FBI. So, you wanna know the reason behind this ?
Ok, here it goes.
Nearly four million computer are affected by a dangerous malware. The malware, if in your PC will control the Domain Name servings for your computer. FBI busted this very operation last year. Alas ! millions of systems were already infected by then. So, the FBI took a decision to run the DNS Changer Servers themselves and guide the systems to correct paths. But, they recently announced that they won’t be serving this anymore and would switch those servers off, for ever on 9th July.
An easy explanation for Non-Techies !
In general your computer asks for the address, of every page you type, to a big computer. Suppose www.facebook.com. If we type this into the browser, our computer will ask a central (big) computer “Where does facebook.com live ?”. The system would then reply “Facebook.com lives in a server whose address is 188.8.131.52 (in computer terms this would be like Server 34 at Facebook Headquarter, Delhi, India). Now our system would go to the told place and get facebook pages. This seems hell lot of work, right ! all is done within seconds. But, if your computer is infected with the DNS changer, your system will no be able to ask the big main computer for address and will ask the hacker’s (DNS Changer’s owner/creator) computer for Facebook’s address. The hacker would send a wrong address back to us. Now, our computer will follow that very address and go to the Facebook page that was designed by the hacker to steal your password. This was a small example of what the hacker can do. Imagine what would happen if the same happens with your bank websites too. All your money gone to them.
Don’t worry, we have the cure.
Follow these steps and you can save internet.
First of all, check if your system is infected by DNS changer worm. Go to http://www.dns-ok.us and run the check. If they show your computer infected then you really should worry. But, hey you are at Digital Saliva, lemme handle the worry for you. Result of that check is not 100% true, its best recommended to run a manual check
Manual Check for DNS Changer
Open Command Prompt
Click on START button on the left-bottom corner and type cmd.
After you see the command prompt window, type in the following command ipconfig /allcompartments /all.
Now find what DNS you are using.
Now, don’t start scratching your head if you don’t see that 184.108.40.206 & 220.127.116.11 on your screen. Just note those two numbers and tally them with this list.
IP Range of Rove DNS settings :
18.104.22.168 – 22.214.171.124
126.96.36.199 – 188.8.131.52
184.108.40.206 – 220.127.116.11
18.104.22.168 – 22.214.171.124
126.96.36.199 – 188.8.131.52
184.108.40.206 – 220.127.116.11
If the numbers you found on now match with these, then you are affected with the worm.
Follow these steps in order to ensure that you don’t loose your access to internet on 9th July.
Some preventives first :
- The first thing you want to do is make a backup of all of your important files. You might go to a computer store or shop online for a portable hard drive and copy all of your files onto that drive.
- Either you or a computer professional that you rely upon and trust should follow the “self help” malware clean up guides listed below. The goal is to remove the malware and recover your PC from the control of the criminals that distributed it. If you were already thinking of upgrading to a new computer, now may be a good time to make the switch.
- Once you have a clean PC, follow instructions for ensuring that your DNS settings are correct. If you’re not using a new PC, you’ll want to check that your computer’s DNS settings are not still using the DNS Changer DNS servers. We hope to have some of our own instructions soon. Until then, the instructions and screen shots found in step 2 at http://opendns.com/dns-changer are quite good if you want to manually set your DNS settings. You also have the option to return to using your ISP-provided automatic settings by choosing the “automatically” option (Windows) or deleting any DNS servers listed (MacOS).
- After you have fixed your computer, you will want to look at any home router you’re using and make sure they automatically use DNS settings provided by the ISP. We’ll have a document for this soon.
- Changing DNS is only one of the functions of the malware kits. The malware could have been used for capturing keystrokes or acting as a proxy for traffic to sensitive sites like bank accounts or social media. It would be a good idea to check your bank statements and credit reports as well as change passwords on any online accounts especially saved passwords from your applications or web browsers.
Now you should run a proper anti virus check and restart your PC and again check for the worm, it should be gone. If not, please let us know and we will help you removing it. Do refer http://www.dcwg.org/ for more information.
Many of you don’t share stuff from the internet on your social networks or via mail. But, this is no random stuff. This is digital age and today loss of internet may be very fatal. I hope you understand me and please share this post though the social media buttons either below or copy this text and share it on your wall. We are not doing this for any personal benifit of ours because we don’t put on ads or have any money share for readings. Its purely to save you and millions like you from loosing their internet connection for ever…
Copy Paste this on your wall, twit it, mail it …
FBI is shutting down dns changer servers on 9th July. You may permanently loose your internet access. Please read the full report in order to save your self from Internet Shutdown 2012. I would request you all to share this status update with your family and friends. Please help the word spread and save the world.